The American designer’s bold capital lettering and deliberately succinct answers reflect a man with a purpose. Known for his ability to fuse conservatism with rebellion to produce an inimitable style that often hints at S&M and primal instincts, it’s no wonder the American designer has surpassed iconic status and achieved what many refer to as a ‘cult-like’ following. Never shying away from making a statement, bold black answers on a stark white page, gentle but brazen, the man and the brand combine to shed a little light on those who have impacted them.
No man is an island entire of itself;
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main;
Any man’s death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.
- What is your personal understanding of ‘No Man is an Island’?
Wishful thinking. Sometimes it happens.
- Who was the first person whose style made an impact on you?
Probably my father. He denied himself decorative indulgence but had one hour a day where he drank tea and listened to classical music. I think I learned economic gesture and controlled extravagant emotion from him.
- Are there certain relationships that are important to your success/ safeguarding your principles?
Without my talented and patient business partners, I would be in the gutter.
- Who was the last person who made you stop and think?
The writer and social activist Gloria Steinem. I saw her speak this year in such a gentle and measured way - dealing with moral conflicts every day had not seemed to threaten her personal serenity.
- Can you tell us a little more about the relationship between Rick Owens the brand and Rick Owens the person?
- What is your take on the current ‘trend’ of gender blurring?
This generation’s gender experimentation seems a bit weak – they did it harder, stronger and louder in the 1970’s and in 17th century Japan.
- Do you feel that there are is a need for a clear demarcation line between the conventionally feminine and masculine form? Where should the line start and end?
I believe in complete hallucinogenic anarchic celebration of the exploding Id.