From deep within the forests of Saint-Louis-lès-Bitche, northeastern France, Saint-Louis has been crafting exquisite crystal glassware since 1767 – the year in which King Louis XV of France bestowed the prestigious name of Verrerie Royale de Saint-Louis (Saint-Louis Royal Glassworks) upon the workshop. With roots that stretch back even further, all the way to 1586 when the first glassworks opened at the same location in the village of Münzthal, Saint-Louis has a history that is rich and illustrious.
Above all, Saint-Louis is renowned for the exceptional clarity and luminosity of its crystal, qualities that come from the meticulous way it is produced and the well-practiced skill of the artisans at the manufacturing base in Saint-Louis-lès-Bitche. Wood has always been key to the production of Saint-Louis’s crystal, and so it is no accident that the brand’s glassworks is located in the heart of a forest. Here, skilled artisans blow molten glass into carved wooden moulds to create the distinctive shapes of their exceptional crystal glassware, bringing together the ancient elements of fire and wood in perfect harmony.
This time-honoured production process results in crystal that is clear, dense and sonorous, and which is expressed in a plethora of different styles and forms. Saint-Louis is perhaps best known for its incredible selection of stemware, which ranges from the traditional to the contemporary, and from wine glasses, goblets and champagne flutes to carafes, decanters and jugs.